About Me

My photo
We are Sam and Martyn, originally from Hebden Bridge. We have lived on boats since 1996 and bought Elephant Daze in 2005. She was discovered behind some units in Keighley and we transported her to Goole. For those of you wondering about the name - she was named by Martyn a huge fan of Kirk Brandon / Spear of Destiny who wrote the song 'Elephant Daze' - and the name just seemed to fit. We hope you don't mind Kirk! It is also a great conversation starter!! Many years of blood sweat and tears followed as we took on the uneviable task of resurrecting her, the results were more than worth it! In Febuary 2010 we decided it was time to venture further afield so we left Goole and moved to Hull. This change resulted in us finally deciding to take the bull by the horns and head for the sea. We have left our jobs and will spend the summer having the adventure of or lifetime (we hope!!). We would like to invite you to share in this adventure, I hope you enjoy!

Saturday 18 September 2010

It's not "goodbye" just "see you later"!





Well folks, I can't delay it any longer the coastal adventure has to be put to bed for the winter. We are back in the water, although the painting never ends and we have been making the most of the last of the summer sun today. The hull is painted as are the decks and that maybe as far as we get now as the days close in. Elephant Daze looks great and we are so proud of all she has achieved for us this year. It was two years ago when I bought Martyn a book for his birthday 'The Shell Channel Pilot' by Tom Cunliffe. I bought it in the hope that one day he would be inspired enough to need to use it. I'm not sure I ever really thought it would happen if I'm perfectly honest. Adventures like this are what other people usually embark upon - not us - and then one fine day in June.......

We were happy - ecstatic - to reach reach Wells alive! The dream became very much a reality from that moment on. I believe somebody helped us along the coast that day - I have never since seen a sea as calm as it was the day we passed Spurn Point and turned South. I have seen many of my hopes, wishes and dreams come true on this trip. I have seen seals, moored at wallasea Island, crossed the Thames moored in Ryde on the Isle of Wight and been to Brighton. I have discovered new places, Brightlingsea, so close to Mersea yet we never new it was there, Rye - the trip nearly killed us but we loved the town, Bembridge with it's quirky house boats and who could forget the Elephant Boatyard and the Hamble...! We have met some amazing people. I believe we even saw the compiler of aforementioned book, Tom Cunliffe at the Elephant Boatyard. Who would have thought Ray Gange - friend of The Clash and star of one of their videos would have come all the way from London to visit us at Eastbourne? Who could have imagined we would meet people living at Wallasea island with friends on the Rochdale canal at Littleborough? We have seen the Americas cup from the water and sailed through the racing at Cowes. It has been a privilege to have seen and experienced all these things and given half a chance I would choose to continue this journey. The reality is that money makes the world go round, it also pays for diesel, overnight moorings and food (we have still not learnt to fish....). I have sold the first scooter I ever owned as well as the second and last one! We have sold our first ever home together (Hareni) and the two cars may well go next. The only constant we have is each other and Elephant Daze, I guess as long as the three of us stick together we should be OK!

Brighton is an amazing, vibrant city where you can live your life however you wish. When people used to ask me about where we might take the boat I would reply "It's Brighton or bust!" Brighton for me has always had a good feeling about it - I'm a sucker for places with good Karma! It would be a mistake to give up an opportunity to stay. That being said I underestimated how much I would love travelling. The excitement of planning a journey, seeing familiar things with new eyes and discovering hidden gems. Until the time comes when we can do that again I shall make it my new adventure to learn all I can about this amazing place. There is so much to do and see here I doubt very much we will get bored waiting for the summer. I thought I might keep a new 'diary' going - I have started a new blog. It didn't seem just right to continue the 'Coastal adventure' in land so a new blog is born. Titled 'Elephant Daze in Brighton'. Very original I know! So if you wish to keep up to date with our shenanigans in Brighton feel free to follow on our new blog. If not - we'll be back next year!

3 comments:

  1. Nice! Happy holidays to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While on land why not check out some local walks on Trailzilla.com?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love coastal holidays in Brighton and surrounding area.

    ReplyDelete