About Me

My photo
We are Sam and Martyn, originally from Hebden Bridge. We have lived on boats since 1996 and bought Elephant Daze in 2005. She was discovered behind some units in Keighley and we transported her to Goole. For those of you wondering about the name - she was named by Martyn a huge fan of Kirk Brandon / Spear of Destiny who wrote the song 'Elephant Daze' - and the name just seemed to fit. We hope you don't mind Kirk! It is also a great conversation starter!! Many years of blood sweat and tears followed as we took on the uneviable task of resurrecting her, the results were more than worth it! In Febuary 2010 we decided it was time to venture further afield so we left Goole and moved to Hull. This change resulted in us finally deciding to take the bull by the horns and head for the sea. We have left our jobs and will spend the summer having the adventure of or lifetime (we hope!!). We would like to invite you to share in this adventure, I hope you enjoy!

Sunday 11 July 2010

C'mon baby let the good times roll!



When we pulled into Eastbourne I didn't expect to be here for three days and I didn't expect a visit from a friend who was and still is a significant figure in both mine and Martyns' lives.

We locked into the marina, so far one of the quietest, or so I thought! We had arrived on Friday and thought that there was not much going on. I was wrong, this is one of the busiest marinas I have ever been into in my life! Boats from all over Europe in and out, local boats, including fishing boats sharing locks. I have never seen as many boats rammed into locks together. Two locks were in use on Saturday, one sea bound the other inbound it was an amazing spectator sport.
I digress, we shared the lock with a couple from Leeds on arrival. They have spent the last forty years living here and have just retired to enjoy their boat. This is a common theme, not just in Eastbourne but all the way through our trip so far, lots of retired people. We get various reactions, there are the negative and positive about the boat and the negative and positive about us as people - we are under 50 which seems to be below the acceptable age! Eastbourne has so far been about 80% negative about the boat and maybe 50/50 about us. It's a shame.... It doesn't help that the salt has been very aggressive and we are starting to look very rusty, we have lost a lot of paint from the hull, to the ignorant onlooker it looks as if we haven't maintained the boat for some time, ignorance is sometimes bliss and provides a great soap box on which to make comment, but you and I we know better.....What amuses me most is when a couple pass by and the chap stops to have a look. The lady with him will be looking at the big white plastic boat somewhere in the vicinity with the sunbathing platform and he will be looking at Elephant Daze. Elephant daze might not be pristine white, and made of plastic but we built her, we live on her and we love her. How many people can say they built their own home?


Anyway, less of the negative, these marinas just get a little claustrophobic!


Yesterday we had a visitor, a visitor that I am very glad to call a friend and one whom back when I first met Martyn I would never of dreamed of having the privilege of calling him so.

Back in 1989 I met Martyn at a party in the woods above Hebden Bridge and he wooed me with a rendition of blue suede shoes. The same blue suede shoes that he was kicking against the wall when I got dropped off at Hebden Bridge train station by my friends mum. That was the first time I saw him. I can honestly say that right there and then I knew I'd met my soul mate. What followed was endless hours listening to music, walking up and down the hills of Calderdale between Midgley, Old Town and Hebden Bridge. Music was the key, we travelled all over watching local bands but Sunday was the day we would sit and listen to our record collection. This was when I developed a passion for The Clash. They were awesome. I spent my Saturdays at the Piece hall in Halifax searching for albums and singles I didn't have and Sundays trying to learn all the words to the new songs. For me The Clash carried me through my teenage years, the voice of Joe Strummer and Mick Jones, the gorgeous Paul Simmonon. They were before my time but it didn't matter. It was my world and I could relate to most of what they were saying. They made a video called 'Rude Boy' it took us ages to find a copy but when we did we watched it over and over. I imagine it's cult film now and one of historic and social interest. The central character is a man called Ray Gange who follows The Clash on some of their tours. There are some great scenes with Ray and Joe Strummer that should be marked in history. Back in 2007 we attended a festival called Strummercamp in Manchester. This festival was to celebrate the life and music of Joe Strummer and the music of The Clash. I couldn't believe it when I spotted Ray Gange on the Friday evening in a quiet bar. I was even more impressed the following day when he came to talk to us. To most of you reading this it probably doesn't make a lot of sense, to us it's important. We met him again the following year at Strummercamp and were really chuffed he remembered us. Ray is a great guy who we get on with really well. We could talk for hours and hours. Yesterday he came to see us on our boat, he caught the train from London then a taxi, just to see us. Take us back to to 1989 watching 'Rude Boy' for the first time and tell me then that in 2010 I would be having my tea with Ray Gange. I wouldn't believe you! If you're reading this Ray I hope you don't mind the reference. It was a lovely evening, hope there will be more of them.


Eastbourne, it's been surprising!

No comments:

Post a Comment